Close

September 2, 2015

Wee-Cycle It consignment sale draws hundreds at the Higher Education Center

This article came from the Bristol Herald Courier.

ABINGDON, Va. — Hundreds descended on the Southwest Virginia Higher Education Center Wednesday and they were ready to shop.

“I don’t know if I’ve ever seen this many people at one time,” said Wee-Cycle It founder and organizer Alicia Arney of Abingdon.

Wee-Cycle It is a semi-annual children’s consignment sale where consignors sell high-quality, gently used items for infants, children and teens.

Some of the items that can be found at the sale are seasonal clothing such as blue jeans and pajamas, maternity clothes, shoes, baby equipment, sports equipment, toys, books, videos/CDs, games, new stuffed animals, kids furniture, bedding and linens.

The most popular items are the larger, more expensive baby items such as pack-n-plays, beds, high chairs, strollers and car seats.

This year’s sale started with more than 53,000 items and nearly 200 volunteers signed up to help.

Consignors make back up to 70 percent of the profit from their donated items, while the other 30 percent is used to benefit local families, church ministries, missions and the Kids Backpack Program.

Arney started the sale eight years ago after attending a large consignment sale when her first child was a baby in Georgia.

“I caught the bug,” she said.

When she moved back to Abingdon, she knew that a sale was something the local area needed. Over the years, it has grown from an 1,800-square-foot house to the Grand Hall at the Higher Education Center.

It was the second year that Colby Amos and his 2-year-old daughter, Brailee, have shopped the sale.

“This sale really helps people out in the area, especially with buying clothes for the winter,” he said.

Lisa Bourne was also shopping for her 2-year-old daughter. She said she had been to the sale in previous years, but never on the first day.

“I came today to find clothes for my children,” she said. “The bouncers for babies went really quickly. I came to pick one up for my babysitter, who could not be here today.”

On average, nearly 2,000 people attend the event over the course of four days, but Arney expects that number to be higher this year.

“It’s just a blessing, I think, to our community,” said Arney.

The next Wee-Cycle It will be held in early 2016 for spring/summer items.

Share