What are your operating hours?

We are open Monday-Friday 7:30 a.m. until 10:00 p.m., Saturdays 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. or later for scheduled events, and Sundays for scheduled events.

Do you close for inclement weather?

The Center is open unless there is a major power outage or dangerous weather conditions. Call the information line for up to date schedule changes (276) 619-4308.

Where is the Higher Education Center located?

Our address is One Partnership Circle, Abingdon, VA 24210, United States. Many GPS devices have trouble finding us. We are located here.

Turn by turn directions from I-81 exit 14:

Drive north on Jonesboro Road (0.3 miles)

At the traffic light turn right onto VHCC Drive (0.4 miles)

VHCC Drive will becomes French Moore Jr., Boulevard (0.2 miles)

Turn left onto Partnership Circle (there is a large sign that says HirEd)

Do you rent event space?

The Higher Education Center rents space for meetings, conferences, tradeshows, banquets, mediations, galas, hearings, classes, and special events. From small classrooms to our large Grand Hall, we have a space for you. Click here to view our event spaces.

Will my degree be from the Southwest Virginia Higher Education Center?

No, your degree will be from one of our accredited partner Colleges or Universities.

Are all of the classes online?

No, depending on the degree program, classes will be online; face-to-face; video-conferencing; or any combination of those three.

Are you affiliated with Virginia Highlands Community College?

The Higher Education Center is a separate State Agency, whose purpose is to provide upper-level Bachelors, Masters, and Doctoral degrees.

Do you have in-house catering?

The Higher Education Center contracts with more than two dozen approved caterers in our area for food service, ranging from boxed meals to elaborate banquets. The Higher Education Center offers in-house food and beverage service for meetings and small events.

Who do I contact to inquire about renting event space?

Please email, or call (276) 619-4300 to speak with a staff member.

Where is the Linwood Holton Governor’s School?

The Linwood Holton Governor’s School offices are located on the second floor.

What is the Testing Center?

Our testing center proctors exams for Pearson Vue, LSAC, NALA, and numerous other testing companies, colleges, and universities. The Testing Center also offers I9 Verification. Click here for more information.

Is there On-Site parking?

The Higher Education Center provides convenient free parking for 450 standard and 22 handicapped designated vehicles.

Is tobacco allowed on-premises?

As a State Agency tobacco products are not permitted.

Is an ATM machine available?

There is no ATM on premises.

Are vending machines available?

Snack and beverage machines are available in Le Cafe, as well as microwave and refrigerator access.

How can we advertise on the entrance marquee?

Only events or college programs taking place at the Higher Education Center or Virginia Highlands Community College can be displayed on the marquee. Schedule your event here.

Does the Higher Ed have public wifi?


Do you charge for use of A/V equipment?

Standard equipment such as computer/projector/screen/audio/blu-ray player/elmo is included in the room fees. For additional information click here.