Financial Aid

While the Southwest Virginia Higher Education Center does not currently offer a Financial Aid office, our partner institutions can help: Please contact your college or university site director for assistance, check with their financial aid office, or visit their individual website for more information. Completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is usually required.

Financial aid is available from many different sources, including federal, state, institutional, and private funds. Be sure to check these sources:

  • Guidance counselors offer information about financial aid programs available from programs within your community.
  • The Internet provides free electronic searches for information about different types of grants and scholarships available to students.
  • Libraries have resource books with information about national financial aid programs.
  • College financial aid offices have information about financial aid programs available from the specific institution and from state government. Contact a Higher Education site director.
  • Your Employers may provide educational assistance for employees.

Learn more about financial aid available to Virginians:

For more than a decade the Higher Education Center has administered the Tobacco Region Scholarship program for the Virginia Tobacco Commission. Up to $100 per credit hour is awarded to residents of Southwest and Southside Virginia that are enrolled in a Bachelor’s degree program at a four-year college or university either in-state or out-of-state.

For additional information, click on the following link